Saturday, February 20, 2010

Friday's (non-crippling, yay!) Workout

GREAT workout on Friday, surprising given my sleep the 2 nights prior.  Wednesday night I was at work (in the office) until 10pm, didn't really get to bed until a little after 11 and slept terribly.  Softball season started again on Thursday and we started the season with an 8:45 game.  Apparently there are no 9:45 games this time around (thank god), but that just means there's nothing to force the 8:45 game to end!  We didn't finish until 10:15 or so, so Thursday night again it was 11:30 until I got to bed, followed by another restless night of sleep.   I also ate poorly on Thursday - the whole day was just off and I was pretty low on calories. 

Despite all that, I did wake up feeling pretty good on Friday! Scratch that, i woke up with a huge smile on my face, feeling fantastic. It was COLD out Fri morning, so I got all dressed up in my best ninja gear, and hit the gym ;) 

Started off with some warm-up sets, then got into it as follows:

Sumo Work Sets (repeat of last week's rep/wt scheme)
5 x 205
5 x 220

5+ x 235


That's 13, 2 more than last week. Clangy, nearly bounced myself right outta view ;)
Back continues to round as I progress through. If I had to I could have cranked out maybe 2 more there.

Front Squats 3 x 8 @ 95
(3rd Set Front Squats, 8 @ 95)


Watching the front squats, I do think it's worth giving the back squat a solid try with a higher bar position and more vertical torso, chin up. Just looking at the form on those, it looks much cleaner (of course it's much lighter, I should video a set of back squats with 95 before I say too much more hahah ;) We'll see how things go with that. I'm also going to put a lot of emphasis on just building quad and adductor strength the next few weeks, even if it means leg extensions and plie squats ;)

Good Morning 2 x 15 @ bar

Plie Squats 2 x 15 @ bar


First time trying with a barbell, so no weight. Will experiment with some light weight going forward.

Hammer High Rows 3 x 10 @ 120 (stopped at 8, last two sets)
Pull Throughs 3 x 10 @ 100
BB Walking Lunges* 1 x 26(total steps) @ 40
Freemotion Seated Calves 4 x 12 @ 120 (12/12/15/15)
BB Walking Lunges 1 x 26 @ 40
Leg Extensions 3 x 15 @ 70
Back Extensions 12 @ 10lbs, 12 @ 25lbs

* BB Walking Lunges - I've always used dumbbells for these, so I wanted to give it a try with the BB. Felt awkward about taking up so much WIDTH trying this with a regular barbell, so I opted for the pre-weighted ez-curl bars, 40lb bar. The weight was fine, could've easily handled more weight for the exercise itself, the difficulty was positioning the bar on my back. No problem pressing the bar overhead, but lowering it down BEHIND the head was rough, then pressing it back up from that position to take it off my back - dicey, which sort of prohibits using the heavier bars. So either I'm just gonna have to get over using the big long olympic bar (since I can use the rack to position it and get out from under it), OR - stuck with dumbbells. Boo!

Mentally I've been in a superb place. Friday later in the day I started to slow down a little physically, little tired but not bad. And last night I slept like a rock so after rest tomorrow and another good night of sleep, I should be 100% :)

Anyway - I feel fantastic today. Quads are sore, as they should be. But lower back feels great, hammies a little sore but hardly noticeable...hips feel good. Plus you know, I can totally move, bonus ;)

Had a cheat meal out last night - chips and salsa, margarita (on the rocks, with salt please! Nice and warm buzzzz), big ole' cheeseburger and fries. Had dessert after at starbucks, a nice coffee with a reeses peanut butter/chocolate chip cookie. Mmmmm - OMG :) I could still talk about all of it for hours LOL.

The beautiful thing was I felt no trepidation over it - just an enjoyable meal out, without fear :)

No comments:

Post a Comment