Thursday, February 10, 2011

Honor This House

Yesterday I woke up with a load of disgust and discontent.  It was from deep within, and it was directed solely at me and at my body. I was just *blah*...wrong, off! I stared and focused in on every flaw/bump/lump/whatever...

I've been trying to "be normal" and not stress the weight, measure, track, workout like a loon, or otherwise go crazy over the weight for a while now.  In June I was in the mid-high 130s.  In July I spontaneously combusted and shot up into the low-mid 140s like - almost overnight, and since have averaged out in the mid-high 140s.

I feel out of control of my body. None of the steps that I'm taking are changing that..I try and I try to "accept" and yet there's been nothing but *tolerance*  Lately tolerance has become a BATTLE. A serious fight day in and day out because this feeling of grossness and discontent underneath has been brewing. I know I've said this a number of times, but I'm not really sure people *get* it...it FEELS WRONG here. This is not my healthy weight. I don't care if it's within normal BMI range, I don't care if I don't look fat, and I used to worry that people thought I was being vain...but I don't care anymore, it's not about that.  I quite simply don't feel good here.

It is true the more stressed I get about my job and my home and the bank and all that, my attention focuses more sharply on myself, but that's because it's the only thing that's truly mine. What's that athletic clothing line...gah I'm totally blanking...Under Armour! They have that saying, "Protect This House." My house is in terrible disarray.  It's sloppy and isn't comfortable to live in. At the end of your hectic day all you want is to come home to a nice, warm, welcoming, comfy house. I want my house to be that way again.  I can't keep feigning acceptance here, it's turning into a fight and I'm just starting to feel resentful. I want *my* house back...I want my body to FEEL right again..THAT is the way to honor this house. That's it. Non-negotiable.

I had some help in letting go of this fight. I was doing it all this time because it was what I was told I was "supposed" to do but not because it was what I wanted. I felt empowered, given permission to accept what my body has been screaming all along. All this time I was supposed to be letting go, and really all along I was still fighting.  Letting go I think, can really start now.

I don't really have a plan for accomplishing this quite yet, but I do know I'm not going to suddenly jump back on the scale every day, and I'm not going to suddenly start logging my food again daily (the thought turns me off completely). I might log here and there just to get a sense of where I am, and maybe to create some sort of very flexible "plan," but truly the thought of going on a very structured and regimented plan doesn't appeal in the slightest. I guess "the plan" is for intentional but intuitive, and here I have to believe it CAN be both if I'm truly connected.

This *feels* right deep inside from the same place that that discomfort and discontent was spewing from.

On another note - my training has been "off" too, really struggling in the gym with focus, strength, and motivation.  Sunglasses Trainer Guy came up to me today and asked me what's going on with me, he told me I wasn't myself.  Hahah...understatement.  I nearly burst out into tears and it felt like confession when I basically said - I don't know what to do! I know I want to be there, and I know I DON"T need to be powerlifting right now, but I don't want to think and I can't motivate myself _at all_ lately!  I told him I had thought about hiring him for 2 or 3 weeks just to help get me through this.  He said he would train me, he said "I'll do it, I won't take your money but I'll train you."  That felt good...huge relief. This was something else that I've really been struggling with, and he's offered to relieve that for me.  Tomorrow I give him my schedule, and we work out a 3 day split for next week and the week after.  Possibly one more week after that if I still need it.  He said, "Look, I've been telling you for what...one and a half...two years now? If you ever need help I'll help you, if this is what you need, I've got it."  A big thank you Sunglasses Trainer Guy (yes I know his real name ;)

Deep breath...

2 comments:

  1. Yay for Sunglasses Trainer Guy!

    I totally get what you are saying about not feeling right where you are with your weight. I'm glad you're going to try a different approach that doesn't involve lots of numerical analysis.

    Do you have any ideas? Something like a SuperFoods type focus might be good? Being intuitive about your choices, and choosing from a wide variety of healthy options from all food groups? Are you confident that you will be eating enough without tracking?

    Let me know if there's anything I can do to support you. ;-)

    ~ Coco

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally not sure about any of it, the only thing I AM sure of is that it's not right as is! I think I'll be eating enough, particularly since training is a ways off for now. Still, I'll probably track a "typical" day like today or tomorrow just to see where I am and then adjust up or down as I feel I need.

    I hope :)

    Thx Coco :)

    ReplyDelete